Whiplash is a common problem, especially among victims of car accidents. At Bankers Hall Chiropractic in Calgary, we treat whiplash naturally and without invasive procedures or addictive medications. In this FAQ, we’ll address many of the questions our patients ask us when they come in with whiplash injuries.
What is whiplash?
Also called “neck strain,” whiplash is an injury that affects the muscles and vertebrae of the neck and back.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
The symptoms of whiplash can be varied. The symptoms that the patient displays may depend on the patient and the severity of the condition. Common symptoms include:
- Pain and tenderness. The patient may feel pain in the neck, shoulders and back.
- Muscle stiffness and limited range of motion. Many patients experience tightness in their neck and shoulders, which can make it difficult to move freely and accomplish normal, everyday tasks.
- Dizziness and headache. The damage to the muscles of the neck and spine can cause pain that radiates up the neck into the scalp, creating the feeling of a headache and impacting the patient’s ability to stay balanced.
- Insomnia. Muscle pain and general discomfort can impact the patient’s ability to get proper sleep, causing insomnia. Insomnia can impact the patient’s ability to stay focused throughout the day, and can also lead to memory dysfunction and irritability.
How long does it take for whiplash symptoms to materialize?
Whiplash can take many hours or even days before it starts to show symptoms. Often the symptoms come on gradually, and the symptoms can seem unrelated to one another. As a result, some patients go for many days before realizing that they have a problem.
What are the common causes of whiplash?
Whiplash is often a result of car accidents. However, whiplash can also be caused by sports injuries, occupational injuries, and slips, trips and falls.
How can our Calgary chiropractor help treat your whiplash?
Chiropractors have many different methods for treating whiplash, including:
- Massage therapy. Massage therapy helps relax the muscles and improve blood flow to the spine. Massage therapy also helps patients by reducing anxiety and encouraging easier sleep at night.
- Spinal adjustment. Spinal adjustment is the practice of realigning the vertebrae of the spine with gentle hand movements. Spinal adjustments help eliminate subluxations and relieve pressure on the joints in the back.
- Stretches and exercises. Chiropractors teach their patients how to perform stretches and exercises that strengthen their muscles, improve range of motion, encourage balance in the body and improve flexibility.
- Lifestyle advice. Chiropractors also help people suffering from whiplash by showing them ways that they can make small lifestyle changes that will help them be more comfortable and heal more quickly.
If you recently suffered an auto injury in Calgary and believe that you may have whiplash, contact Bankers Hall Chiropractic today. We’ll be happy to help you make an appointment. At your first appointment, we’ll diagnose your condition and formulate a treatment plan that will work for you. For more information, call us today at (403) 243-0111.